WHITEWATER R.C.

Whitewater WI radio control club

You are not connected. Please login or register

American flag question

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 American flag question on 1/13/2012, 7:58 am

dcs155

After 20 years in our front yard our once red white and blue flag has become pink, tan and gray and quite tattered. I have a new American flag and am curious how to properly and respectfully dispose of the old flag. I know there is a proper way to do this, and with the respect we have to the red white and blue and what it stands for I want to make sure I do this the right way. You guys know the proper way to retire the old one? Thanks, Dave

2 Re: American flag question on 1/13/2012, 8:29 am

KenD

If you can catch the local VFW member,they'll Take it. Be sure to tell them the Flags Story

3 US Colors Retirement on 1/13/2012, 10:54 am

teeceeveecee

Hi Dave:

Thank you for asking this very patriotic question, today I think the majority of people would simply throw her in the garbage. Our colors mean a great deal to those who have served and those who are just as patriotic that did not have the opportunity to serve.

The preferred practice is a dignified burning. I have retired many over the years and while serving in the USN Submarine Service, we would take FOLDED colors to the fantail of the boat and unfurl her into the wind for one last time and then while suspended from her staff she is ignited and a hand salute is maintained until she is consumed. A civilian should place the right hand across the heart until she is consumed.

To many this ritual may seem rediculous, but she is much more than a piece of cloth, she is our nations standard.

I salute you Dave.

Tom

4 Re: American flag question on 1/13/2012, 11:17 am

dcs155

Thanks Tom and Ken. This was a very important question to me as Teresa and I wanted to retire the old red, white and blue with the respect and patriotism it deserves. Dave

5 Re: American flag question on 1/14/2012, 7:58 am

bigdaddy

Dave drop the flag off by me I take them to the VFW by the hardware store or you can drop it off later there during the week days when they are open

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum